Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Introducing Game a Month #1: Knife That Guy


Hey, everybody. So the process of finding and then relocating to a new living place is taking me longer than I had anticipated, so the Game a Month is being delayed till sometime next week. I felt like updating anyway to let you know what the first Game a Month is going to be. 

The first game project that I designed as part of my college education was called Knife That Guy. It tasked you as “This Guy,” wielder of a large triangular knife, who was destined to knife “That Guy,” who happened to be any randomly selected person in a crowd of wandering people. I made it in the course of a week with my (at the time) minimal coding skill and my (still) less than minimal art skills. The final release build had a bug that caused the game to have a 25% chance to crash whenever you knifed that guy, which meant that only the debug build was actually playable. 

Say hello to This Guy. And his knife.

I was stupidly proud of my stupid first effort, but I felt there was more that I could do with it. So for my first Game a Month, I am going to make an improved version of Knife That Guy. I know, I’m setting the bar pretty high. But I figure by shooting low for the first effort I’ll have the time to write all of the managers and boring framework stuff that I can use for later GaM’s. It will also be good practice expanding and refining a simple idea with whatever time I can scrape together, which is something I’m going to try to do for all of the GaM’s.

The clock will officially start running for Knife That Guy HD 3D Deluxe by this time next week at the latest. And if you're worried that I may get some kind of advantage in this self imposed challenge by having come up with the concept weeks in advance, I promise to inflict just enough cranial trauma on myself to cancel out whatever head start it's given me.

If you're interested, here is the original working debug version of Knife That Guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment